Tuesday 19 March 2013

WRITING SKILLS FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL

This is a writing sequence for middle school that can also be used in higher grades. It is written in Mastery Learning format. There are identical patterns in the sequence to enable the students to master the various forms.

The Mastery Learning strategy is largely teacher centred in early stages. The teacher assists the students at every step. The task is to remove words repeated to eliminate baby talk simple sentences. Students practise the connector words.

These patterns have been used at Boreboa Primary school in grade 8 lessons and teacher workshops. Other schools include Ward Strip Demonstration School and Kila Kila Secondary School.

The approach is being demonstrated to the Department of Education to show Mastery Learning of basics as the replacement to Outcome Based Education.


I  am a highlander. I come from Mt Hagen.

I  am a highlander from Mt Hagen.

I am a highlander and come from Mt Hagen.

I live in the town. I go home each night.
 
I live in the town and go home each night.
 
Living in town I go home each night.

My brother goes to school. His friend goes with him.
 
My brother goes to school with his friend.

He went to the village. He will come back after the holiday.
 
He went to the village and will come back after the holiday.

I live in Lae. I work at Nadzab. I come home each Friday.
 
Living in Lae, I work at Nadzab and come home each Friday.
 
I live in Lae,work at Nadzab and come home each Friday.

I work as a cook. I buy food at the market. I prepare the meals.
 
I work as a cook, buying food at the market and preparing the meals.
 
Working as a cook, I buy food at the market and prepare the meals.

I opened the door . I went inside. I wanted to buy food.
 
I opened the door, went inside and bought food.
 
Opening the door, I went inside to buy food.
 
He spoke to his friend. He asked about his sick father.

He spoke to his friend and asked about his sick father.

Speaking to his friend, he asked about his sick father.

He sat with his friends. He discussed the meeting.
 
He sat with his friends discussing the meeting.
 
Sitting with his friends, he discussed the meeting.

She walked to the hospital. She hoped it would not be too late.
 
She walked to the hospital, hoping it would not be too late.
 
Walking to the hospital. she hoped it would not be too late.

They lay beside the road. They waited for a PMV.
 
Lying beside the road, they waited for a PMV.
 
They lay beside the road and waited for a PMV.

They sat under the tree. They talked about the exam. They ate their lunch.
 
They sat under the tree, talked about the exam and ate their lunch.
 
Sitting under the tree, they talked about the exam and ate their lunch.

She heard the baby. He was crying. He was hungry.
 
She heard the baby crying and hungry.

They were expelled. They were told they could not return.
 
They were expelled and told not to return.

She ate apples. She ate oranges. She ate pawpaws.
She ate apples, oranges and pawpaws.

He was sick. He was tired. He was hungry.
 
He was sick, tired and hungry.

I saw Paul. I saw John. I saw Peter.
 
I saw Paul, John and Peter.

It was red. It was yellow. It was green.
 
It was red, yellow and green.

He was my brother. He was my friend.
 
He was my brother and friend.

He looked out the window. He saw a ship. It was on the horizon.
 
He looked out the window and saw a ship on the horizon.
 
Looking out the window,he saw a ship on the horizon.

He was an old man. He had a walking stick. He had a long white beard.
 
He was an old man with walking stick and long white beard.

He had no fear. He rushed into a burning building. He wanted to save the child.
 
Having no fear, he rushed into a burning building to save the child.
 
It was a lovely day. The sun was shining. The birds were singing.

It was a lovely day with the sun shining and birds singing.
 
She was a beautiful woman. She had long hair. She had a sweet smile.
 
She was a beautiful woman with long hair and a sweet smile.

She saw the baby. It was hungry. It was crying.
 
She saw the baby, hungry and crying.

They were expelled. They were told they could not return.
 
They were expelled and  told not to return.

Expelled, they were told not to return.

He reached forward. He took hold of the rope. He pulled it. This would make the boat steady.
 
He reached forward, took hold of the rope and pulled it to make the boat steady.

He reached forward, took hold of the rope which he pulled to make the boat steady.
The girl saw the accident. She cried. She tried to rescue the child. He was trapped in the car.
 
The girl saw the accident, cried and tried to rescue the child trapped in the car.

He did not know what to do. He called the police. He reported the accident.

He did not know what to do but called the police to report the accident.
 
Not knowing what to do,  he called the police and reported the accident.

He gave no word. He placed a letter on the table. He left the house.
 
He gave no word but placed a letter on the table and left the house.
 
Giving no word, he placed a letter on the table and left the house.


ব্লগ দর্শকদের মধ্যে সবচেয়ে জনপ্রিয় দেশের গ্রাফ

No comments:

Post a Comment